Monday 31 October 2011

The Roll Neck Resurrection


Celine A/W 11
I love that fashion always comes back in cycles, reinventing cringe-worthy blasts-from-the-past into the latest must haves. As a cynic, I usually classify these trends as either-

a) Passing fads or
b) Impractical or
c) Ridiculous or
d) Requiring the confidence/body of a supermodel. 

So I was instantly sold when I heard practicality was back in vogue this A/W. The humble parka, knee-high boots and roll neck (you heard me right) sweaters/dresses were firmly in the spotlight. Yes, you can be warm, comfortable and stylish this winter!

The innate paranoia that comes with roll necks is ending up neck-less, double-chinned or more frumpy than fierce. But with the right colour and clever pairing, this is a versatile piece one can rock in real life.

5 of the Best Roll Necks

Navy, teal and burgundy are great alternatives to black, or draw attention with a bright pop of colour like crimson. For the rest of the outfit, choose pieces from the same tonal palette to elongate silhouette. The 1940s style pencil skirt, skinny jeans, leggings or sleek tapered trousers are hot choices right now. Finish off with a parka, blazer, wool trench or my favourite, an ankle grazing duster coat. You can customize your outfit to channel anything from elegant (a la Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face, 1957), boyish to highland heritage.
Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face, 1957


Kate Jackson (Far left) from Charlie's Angels, 1970s 

The best bit for me is that I’ve had roll necks in my drawers for years. Nostalgia always comes back in style. Not that I needed another excuse not to spring-clean my closet. Oxfam’s loss is my gain.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Well written and entertaining piece, nice high street selections, I especially like the references to them worn in the past in film and TV. You've almost made me forget how much I hate that clingy neck feeling - I'm sure your readers who are less clothing claustrophobic will rush out and buy one - trend well spotted!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...